Graduate Application Engineer
Enjoy solving complex problems and optimizing system performance? Want to have direct impact from day one? Do you like working with dynamic people in an international environment?
Then you might be the Graduate Application Engineer we are looking for.
Start your career with Optiver, a global leader in electronic trading. We build and maintain low latency trading systems that respond to market events in nanoseconds. As a leading technology-based market maker and liquidity provider, we are committed to improving the market by providing efficiencies for end investors. Using our own capital at our own risk, we trade thousands of financial instruments on more than 50 exchanges around the world, contributing to healthy markets and putting us at the forefront of technology and trading.
At Optiver, engineering is at the core of our trading strategies. Trading is a complex and unpredictable environment with frequent changes and a high load. Our systems have to be fast, reliable and precise. Our engineers continually refine, store, and analyse hundreds of terabytes of data, enabling us to automatically price large, diverse sets of financial instruments with extremely low error tolerance. Our infrastructure is a combination of 10 000 highly customised components and 600 different applications, which run on 1500 servers distributed globally. We deal with 14 000 releases and 35 000 changes per year.
If you enjoy a fast feedback loop and seeing the impact of your work in action, then you have found the right place. At Optiver you could be working on a change to a trading system in the morning and see it running live in the afternoon.
Your big challenge will be balancing complexity with system performance and a reliable trading environment. The goal is to find the simplest, cleanest solution and to optimise it continually.
As a Graduate Application Engineer, you deploy, monitor, and configure a suite of proprietary trading applications. You work on the trading floor alongside Traders, Researchers and fellow Engineers to identify and troubleshoot issues that arise. You collaborate with software development teams to ensure the health and stability of the production trading environment. You develop tools to make daily activities more efficient and consistent. With a hands-on mentality, you always strive for the simplest solutions.
Over thirty years ago, Optiver started business as a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Options Exchange. Today, we are a leading global electronic market maker, focused on pricing, execution and risk management.
What are we looking for?
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent;
- Strong affinity with Unix/Linux systems;
- The ability to automate tasks using Python;
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. MSSQL, postgres);
- An understanding of networking fundamentals and protocols
- Strong communication skills and collaborative mindset
- Dutch is NOT requiredYou are eager to learn and a logical thinker. You look for opportunities to get out of your comfort zone and like frequent change.Prior knowledge about trading is not required as you will learn all you need to know during our six-month Tech Starters Program. You will have a combination of theoretical as well as practical experience by working on projects directly impacting the business.
What will you get?
Be part of an energetic and stimulating work environment where you’ll have the chance to work with colleagues from over 40 countries around the world.
We offer a truly collaborative culture with an unmatched performance-based bonus structure where profits across trading desks, teams and offices are combined into a global profit pool.
As an international organisation, we offer expat advice, a competitive relocation package and visa sponsorship where necessary.
- Training and continuous learning opportunities
- Competitive remuneration
- 25 paid vacation days
- Access to conferences and Tech events
- International transfer opportunities
- Fully paid commute
- Sports and recreation activities
- Complimentary in-house barista
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner facilities
- Friday afternoon drinks with your colleagues
- Weekly in-house massages
How to apply
Please click on the below link: